How to Help Your Child Eat HealtherOctober 5, 2017
The kinds of food your children eats and drinks is important for their health. Fruits, vegetables, grains, protein, and dairy foods provide the nutrients that their bodies need. Keep an eye on the amount of added sugars, sodium, and saturated (solid) fat your children are eating.
Some Food For Thought
- Fruits: Let your child enjoy a variety of whole or bite-sized fruits such as apples, bananas, mandarin oranges, etc. Serve 100% fruit juice in small amounts and less often.
- Vegetables: Prepare red, orange, and dark-green vegetables like tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and broccoli as part of your child’s meals and snacks.
- Grains: Make at least half of their grains whole grains by offering 100% whole-grain cereals, breads, and pasta.
- Protein: Choose a variety of protein foods such as seefood, beans, and small portions of meat or poultry.
- Dairy: Give them low-fat milk, yogurt, and cheese to provide much needed calcium.
- Encourage water instead of fruit juice or sugary drinks. Too much of these things can add more calories than your child needs.
- Check out the salt (sodium) in canned food, bread, and frozen meals. Read your labels, and find food with lower numbers.
- Watch the amount of saturated fats in foods. Cakes, cookies, icecream, pizza, cheese, sausages, and hotdogs are okay sometimes, but not everyday.
Another great tip — model healthy eating habits for your children! Your children look to you! — Apple nachos is one of our favorite healthy snacks in our home! What is yours?
An App that encourages healthy eating!
This new app turns daily eating into a fun game for young children. The pets are what YOU eat – and the HuePets App makes it fun for kids to eat healthy and try new foods!
Using the app, kids scan their real-life meals to feed their pets, unlocking prizes and raising their pets from little eggs to HueMasters.
You can track your child’s eating, and can get personalized recommendations on what to serve. Who doesn’t need ideas for healthy eating!?! I know as my children have played with the app, their love for trying new foods and healthy eating has grown! Especially their love for new fruits and veggies.
As always, thanks for reading! I would love to hear some ideas on how you get your kids to eat healthier! What are some of your favorite healthy foods. Tips/Tricks? Please leave a comment, like, and subscribe. Have a blessed day!